Founded in 2018, the Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF) is the first policy-oriented think tank in Taiwan focusing on Southeast Asian and South Asian affairs. In the spirit of the New Southbound Policy (NSP), the goal of the TAEF is to promote comprehensive ties between Taiwan and the 10 ASEAN countries, 6 South Asian states, as well as Australia and New Zealand through cooperation and exchanges in three major fields – including think tanks, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and young leaders – to consolidate a sense of regional community in Asia and establish long-term cooperative partnerships.
TAEF is devoted to building new mechanisms for regional cooperation among Asian societies. Our goal is to cultivate standard policy blueprints for Taiwan, ASEAN, and South Asian countries through frequent regional dialogue, while also highlighting Taiwan’s commitment and contributions towards Asia’s development through concrete initiatives for cooperation. In addition, the TAEF hosts various international conferences – including the Yushan Forum: Asian Dialogue for Innovation and Progress – with the aim of strengthening ties with New Southbound Policy partner states and societies, while also inviting other like-minded countries to participate in the regional dialogue.
Expanding Taiwan’s Regional Linkages
- Think Tank Cooperation: Building domestic and international think tank networks to increase capabilities on academic cooperation, encourage international exchange, and promote the New Southbound Policy.
- Civil Society Partnerships: Launch the “Asian Double Helix Initiative” on regional youth leadership, encourage diverse connections among Asian NGOs and civil societies, promote public diplomacy and social participation.
- Strengthen Role as Pilot Think Tank: Engage in in-depth policy research to strengthen Taiwan’s contributions to Asian studies, and develop joint task forces on international policy cooperation.
Board of Directors
- Ms. Chin-Ying WANG, Chairman of the Noordhoff Craniofacial Foundation, R.O.C
- Mr. Chung-kwang TIEN, Deputy Foreign Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, R.O.C
- Ms. Cynthia KIANG, Director General of the Bureau of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Economic Affairs, R.O.C
- Mr. Wallace Minn-Gan CHOW, Director General, Department of East Asian and Pacific Affair, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, R.O.C
- Ms. Lily L.W HSU, Secretary General, Deputy Foreign Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, R.O.C
- Mr. Fu-Shan LIN, General of Department of Railways and Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications, R.O.C
- Mr. Junne-Jih CHEN, Deputy Minister of Council of Agricultural and Executive Yuan, R.O.C
- Mr. Tong-Cheng FU, Advisory Consultant of National Security Council, R.O.C
- Mr. James C.F. Huang, Chairman of Taiwan External Trade Development Council, R.O.C
- Mr. John Cheng-Chung DENG, Minister without Portfolio, Executive Yuan, R.O.C
- Mr. Hsin-Huang Michael HSIAO, Chairman of Taiwan- Asia Exchange Foundation, R.O.C
- Mr. Ming-Hsien LAI, Director General of the Department of International Affairs, Financial Supervisory Commission, R.O.C
- Ms. Chun-Lan YEN, Director General of National Treasury Administration, Ministry of Finance, R.O.C
- Mr. Shuh-Fan DING, Emeritus Professor of Graduate of East Asian Studies, National Cheng-Chi University, R.O.C
- Mr. Cheng-Yi LIN, Research Fellow of Institute of European and American Studies, Academia Sinica, R.O.C
- Mr. Tan-Sun CHEN, Chairman of The Prospect Foundation, R.O.C
Room 1107, 11F, NO.136, Section 3, Ren’ai Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, 10657, Taiwan